Thursday, September 23, 2010

Happy Chuseok!

Today is Chuseok, Korean Thanksgiving. I didn't realize that this was the actual day until this evening. In Korea, it is a 3 day national holiday where everyone goes to their hometown, eats delicious food, visits their ancestors' graves, leaves offerings thanking their ancestors for a good harvest, and plays games with their families.

I love celebrations! Visiting my hometown on the spur of the moment is out of the question since it is over 1,000 miles away. No ancestors to visit since they are all buried far away or cremated. Not visiting any graves, so I guess I won't be leaving any thanks offerings. So that leaves eating delicious food and playing games. Lucky me, it just so happens that we had everything we needed to make some delicious Korean food. And I didn't even plan it that way. As for playing games, we watched Prosecutor Princess (an awesome, hilarious Korean romantic comedy that you should definitely check out) and loved every minute of our first (very Americanized) Chuseok.

Our dinner:
Dakgogi Bokkum - Chicken with fresh cabbage. My version is not traditional since I used red cabbage instead of green, but it was still delicious!



And here is how Ryeowook celebrated Chuseok:

He went to his home town.



And visited his family. They are so cute.

Later, he visited an ancestor's grave and left a thanksgiving offering.  I think this is touching and I'm grateful he would share such a private moment.
Later, he played games with the family. Doesn't that look like Monopoly? I love Monopoly!

Thanks to Super Junior's Ryeowook, I have a better idea of how to celebrate this lovely holiday. Next year we will visit family, have a korean feast, and play some games. Monopoly anyone?

No comments: