Saturday, January 22, 2011

Bang, Bang, BANGS!

A long time ago I was a child. And as a young child I has bangs. I was cute. Check me out -



Then I got bigger and I didn't have bangs -



At the age of 11, I didn't remember that I'd ever had bangs. I thought I would look cute with bangs and so I cut some. I didn't get permission to cut those bangs. Even though they were cute, I decided that I would have to hide the evidence from my mother. Naturally, I did what any "intelligent" 6th grader would do- I cut them off. Right at the front of my hair. Dead center. Exactly at the place where my hair obstinately parts.

My mom took one look at me and asked me why I had dirt on my forehead. I played dumb. She saw right through my "confusion" and ordered me over so she could clean it up. As she attempted to erase my "smudge" with her mom spit I knew I was in for it. Busted!

Surprisingly, she did not get mad, she laughed. And laughed. And laughed. A lot. Because she remembered what I had forgotten - school pictures were the very next day.

And so my 6th grade picture was unfortunate. I would share it with you but after 2 hours of searching I have given up. I will describe it for you instead -

My hair was slightly parted on the right, shiny and straight. I sat in some weird hunched position with my left shoulder lifted and my head tilted slightly left. Even my glasses were crooked. Maybe I was trying to keep my hair in its proper place to hide my bangs gone wrong. I don't know. It was a bad, awkward picture and it is burned into my memory.

Anyway, years went by and I've had many hairstyles with and with out bangs. But for the last 12 years I have shunned bangs. They require too much effort what with all the trimming and styling. I haven't been very into doing much of anything with my hair. I wash it. I brush it. And then it usually goes into a pony tail. Done.

Enter Super Junior. Most of them have bangs.


Of course my thoughts have been warming towards the thought of having bangs. In November I had some bang-like things cut -


Can you see them? No? I don't see them either. I wanted them to blend in. They blended in very well. A little too well. A few weeks later I asked her to cut more -


Do you see them now? Nope? That's ok. I was timid about the change and I still wanted them to blend in. But once again they were blending in too well. And so today I got my hair cut again. This time I said I want bangs. And so I got some -


I took me 2 months, but after many years I have bangs again. Woop! Who knows? In 2 more months I might actually do some thing drastic with my hair. But until then, what do you think?

2 comments:

amy said...

i'll tell you what i'm thinking- bangs look Super cute on you!! (get it? Super?) but really, you should keep them for a long time, i love it!

Veena said...

I love the bangs! I love the story from your childhood! I love that YOUR MOM laughed and didn't get all crazy mad!