Sunday, January 23, 2011

Gratitude - a Sunday Kind of Thing

I didn't post anything about gratitude last week. It wasn't because I had nothing to be grateful for but because I was busy making this huge Korean feast  -
 Hmmm, that doesn't look like a lot, but it took me and Dude-Man five hours to cook everything. We don't normally spend five hours cooking on a Sunday (or any other day, for that matter) but The Crafty One was having a birthday, so yeah. And all the in-state relatives came.  There are 13 of us, the same as in Super Junior. All afternoon I pretended that I was cooking for them. Silly, I know. Anyway, I was glad to have the opportunity to cook Korean food for so many.



First, I am thankful for The Crafty One-

This is my oldest child and my biggest experiment in parenting. I am very lucky that she is our first. She is really smart, like crazy smart. As you can see from the picture, she has interesting ideas about hair. This is true even today. But for all of her unconventional ways, she has gorgeous hair. She has a great sense of humor and helps us to remember to see the funny stuff in life. As the oldest, she takes the responsibility of keeping the younger ones in line very seriously. I'm not saying that she's bossy... well maybe sometimes. She is good-hearted, honest, and reliable. I love her a lot and I'm so glad she is my daughter.

Second, I'm grateful for this sunset -

After spending an entire day cleaning my room, I was rewarded with this beautiful sunset. It reminded me that even though I can and should do much to make my life the best that it can be, there is One who ultimately has control. He is the one that can transform clouds into beautiful sunsets. It gives me comfort to know that after all that I do He will make up the rest and help me to become the best version of myself that I can be.


Third, I'm thankful for unity and forgiveness -

This is one of my favorite Super Junior stories. The guy with his back to the camera is Kangin. Early last year he got in trouble for drunk driving. A month later he was in a fight or tried to break up a fight (I'm not sure which). Management was unhappy with his behavior and it was decided that he should enter the required military service early. The guys in Super Junior were pretty unhappy with him too.  He was suspended from the group's activities and wasn't allowed to participate in the album released in 2010. After a period of introspection, Kangin was reunited with the Super Junior guys. They were really glad for his change in heart and willingly welcomed him back. Two members collaborated on a song for Kangin and managed to convince management to let him sing the song. It appears on the repackaged version of the album and is called A Short Journey, it's one of my favorites. You can listen to it here -


Credit: aph105 baidu bar

That picture (up there) was taken on the day Kangin went into the army. The management company did not give approval for the group to see him off. The day before, the group was working on a new music video and they could not leave until it was completed. They all worked hard and late to get it done so they could be there for Kangin.

This story reminds me to forgive others and to support them through the tough times that come to them from the choices that they make. I hope that I can always express my disappointment in another's actions in an appropriate way, and then stand with them as a support in their trials.

As always, I'm grateful for my home, my family, and my faith -



And don't forget Super Junior!

Now tell me what you are grateful for.

2 comments:

Stiv said...

I am grateful for peeled potatoes.

Veena said...

I am grateful for cute kids with chubby cheeks for squeezing.