Friday, January 28, 2011

Yum or Not?

For many years one of our go-to recipes has been Lemony Broiled Chicken. It is chicken marinated in olive oil and lemon juice with some salt, pepper,cinnamon, and oregano. Easy and tasty. Here is a picture -


Many years ago, when we only had two kids, I discovered this recipe. I made it a lot back then. And by a lot I mean like at least once a week. Anyway, The Crafty One eventually lost her appetite for my culinary masterpiece.

Back then, we ate dinner in front of the TV on most nights. Dude-Man and The Crafty One were eating in the TV room while I chose to eat at the kitchen table while reading a magazine. I had finished my food when she came downstairs with her plate. She had a dazzling smile on her face and sweetly asked me if I would like her rice. What a sweetheart! I hungrily accepted her offer and scooped her rice onto my plate. I thanked her for her gift and sent her on her way.

I resumed reading and eating but some thing wasn't quite right. The rice was some how gritty. I took another bite. This time there were tiny hard things in the rice. I swallowed. I examined the food. Nothing looked suspicious. I called the child (who happened to be observing me from the stairs) and she burst into laughter. "What did you do this food?" I demanded. Beaming from ear to ear she replied, "I put the sand from my shoe into it!"

After that there was a lot of spitting and swishing happening at the kitchen sink. And my darling daughter? She was overcome with fits of laughter. And Dude-Man? Where was he during all of this childhood treachery? In the bathroom.

After that experience, Lemony Broiled Chicken became relegated to the occasional meal. It was also a long time before I accepted any food from my eldest child.

The youngest member of Super Junior is Kyuhyun. He is not a good cook. He can't even make ramen right. Who doesn't know to put the flavor packet in? I guess he doesn't. Anyway, there is a new Super Junior show on in South Korea. It is called Super Junior's Foresight. At the beginning of each show Kyuhyun "cooks" something for the guests. In this episode he makes a smoothie - WATCH!


I hope you watched the video clip because it's funnier than my description -

Kyuhyun describes what he will be making- a black bean smoothie. The guest on this episode has had problems with hair loss in the past and black beans are supposed to be good at preventing that. Kyuhyun also keeps mispronouncing the word for bean and the others tease him. He gets embarrassed.

Kyuhyun explains how he prepared the beans and the sesame seeds and then proceeds to dump the beans into the blender, all of them. But this is a mistake, and with trembling hands removes some of the beans. He adds some sesame seeds and interestingly colored milk. The guest is worried when he sees the milk and questions that it is milk. Kyuhyun explains that he has added soy milk to the blender.

Then the blending begins. Eunhyuk jumps when the blender starts and everyone is startled. Kyuhyun explains that he will be blending for 20 seconds and encourages the others to continue talking.

The conversation continues with everyone shouting at one another. For some reason they keep asking the guest that they heard that he likes to eat trees. The guest is confused by the questioning and alarmed by the drink. He states that it looks like vomit and has a bit of a fit about drinking it. Eunhyuk stands up to tell the guest that he can't behave like that on their show.

Reluctantly the guest tries the smoothie and as he chews it, he is asked how it tastes. His answer, "good". Then he proceeds to check Leeteuk to see if he is experiencing hair loss and determines that Leetuek is good. He checks Eunhyuk's hair and shows how his hairline is receding. The guest gives Eunhyuk the smoothie and with much trepidation he has some. And when asked how it is he says it tastes like beans.

Fortunately for me The Crafty One never tried a bean smoothie on me. Although, I did get her back by serving her some "slug juice". Dinner anyone?

1 comment:

Stiv said...

I much prefer bean pops myself.