Friday, February 25, 2011

iPod Wars

I love my iPod and here is a picture of it -

Dude-Man got it for me for our anniversary 2 years ago. It's so cute and orange and full of Kpop. What is Kpop? Kpop is the music that I'm constantly listening to. Kpop is not just Super Junior in it's many incarnations, it is way more than that.

It's also Miss A - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTnwjlDhAY4&hd=1 

And Big Bang -  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQjcJBGIFsA&hd=1

Then there is  f(x) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnz2n5VcV4Q&hd=1

Oh, can't forget Shinee - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dww9UjJ4Dt8&hd=1


So now you've had a taste of Kpop. I hope you liked it.

Not everyone in my household is a fan of the Kpop. The Boy in particular doesn't like it. This causes some problems on the home front.

When we are driving, the rule is that the driver gets to choose the music. Since The Boy doesn't like to drive and hasn't gotten his license yet, I do most of the driving. And when I drive I listen to Kpop. And I listen to it LOUD. He doesn't like it and often tries to turn the tunes to a more manageable level. Fortunately for me, technology is on my side and I can turn up the music by touching a button on the steering wheel.

Battle won by MOM!

When we are at home and I'm cooking or cleaning I typically have my iPod on. And of course it is Kpop blaring from the speakers. The Boy will then go to his room and turn his music up, and up, and UP. Then I either let him win or I close his door.

Battle won by The Boy or by MOM!

When the rest of the family is around things get dicier. Everyone has an iPod. And everyone believes that their music is the best. Giggles is content to listen to her music in her room and doesn't think music is worth battling over. But the others ones.... If you leave the room and your iPod was playing when you left, there is a very good chance that your iPod will be replaced.

The funniest is when The Crafty One or Moli replace my iPod. We have the EXACT same music! We all love the Kpop. "No, Mom! Not YOURS! I've got better stuff on mine!" OR "I have my playlist set-up better than yours." Or other such nonsense. It is ridiculous.

And heaven helps us if we try to travel together for any length time in one vehicle. Dude-Man likes driving with music on. He likes many types of music. He tolerates the Kpop. Within 30 seconds of departure The Boy (in the way back) will start asking to have the music turned down. Of course The Crafty One and Moli want the music turned up. But not before Moli switches the iPod that is playing for her own iPod. So then Dude-Man works his technical magic and there is no sound in the speakers in the way back. This causes The Crafty One to beg for music on her side of the van. Dude-man acquiesces to her request which causes the boy to put on his headphones and start to listen to his own music. He has to turn his music up VERY LOUDLY so he can drown out the other music which is offensive to him. In a burst of sisterly concern, The Crafty One hassles The Boy to turn down his music, but to no avail. By now we are at the end of our street (about 250 feet).

As we continue on our journey there will be peace for a time. (Hurrah!) But then there will be a shift in the atmosphere and the bickering resumes. The Boy thinks it's his turn to have his iPod played. Within moments of the exchange someone will have a headache. There will be more technical magic performed by Dude-Man  but this time to no avail. Harsh words will be said, someone will cry or wail, I will start flailing and threaten to take off some of my clothes, the music will be turned off, and we will arrive at our destination in silence.

Battle won by no one. Sigh.

1 comment:

jain said...

cheater. don't even play by your own rules. the driver gets to choose?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .